As rightly quoted, colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed. Completion of schools definitely has colleges as useful equipment to shape and forge them. But often, choosing the “right” institution from the options of countless is difficult to encounter. While deciding what subject to go with is difficult, choosing an institution or college too is a dilemma in itself.
Evaluating a degree or program is however sorted, choosing an institution takes time as it needs to consider various points. A combination of various considerations is what makes a college “right” for a student. Within this blog, we will talk about various such tips and things to consider while opting for a university
How to choose a University?
- Subject matters: The foremost and important step to consider while choosing a university is opting for the right subject or program. This factor is the core of the decision to fill out a university application. Also, choosing a subject filters out and makes the process of choosing a university easier. You will spend your next 3-5 years studying the subject chosen, that’s why it must align with your interest and passion. The best way to sort this factor is to go with career counseling and conduct thorough research.
- Consider Rankings: After knowing the subject, start listing down the ranks of universities teaching the course. Consider NIRF rankings, which stands for National Institute Ranking Framework as a parameter to know the best higher institutions and educational centers. Another fact of considering NIRF is, that it is given by the government of the country to institutions and universities which establishes authenticity.
- Ideal Location: Narrowing down the above point further, location also influences the choices. The reason why “where” matters is because it affects job opportunities, lifestyle, and networking opportunities. Know whether you are looking forward to studying abroad, away from home, or near your home. Once the area is sorted, figure out the best college in the location through NIRF rankings.
Note: NIRF Ranking only applies to Indian universities and institutions.
- Cost Consideration: Cost consideration is an important factor to discern before choosing colleges. Also, knowing that it goes beyond tuition fees is pivotal. Therefore, it’s best interest to evaluate financial aid or scholarship provided by the students, cost of living, and accommodation too. Check whether the university provides in-house facilities or you will have to find off-campus accommodation. Off-campus accommodation again incurs prices such as rent, maintenance, electricity fees, etc.
- Size matters: The size of universities impacts many factors crucial for student development. Each size of university comes with its pros and cons. A small university tends to give personalized attention, flexibility, and leadership opportunities. On the other hand, big universities give exposure, networking skills, more facilities, and extracurricular activities.
- Extracurricular activities: The development of students is outside the class too! The personal growth of a student is instigated by skill development which is affected by extracurricular activities. Extracurricular activities tend to become a fertile ground for a student to thrive, develop, and learn new skills. It also encompasses and teaches the value of leadership and socializing to connect with the outer world for the better. Look after what does college conduct to contribute towards skill development of a student.
- Knowing Facilities: Knowing facilities is equally important to search out the “right” college or institution. The quality of the facility speaks a lot about the university. That’s why it’s necessary to assess and evaluate the facilities of libraries, laboratories, sports, classes, technology, etc. Considering facilities is vital to nurturing the campus experience for overall professional development.
- Alumni Network: Word of Mouth is the best thing to discern whether the university is good or not. Knowing ratings offered by graduated students tells a lot about the working of college. It also establishes credibility and provides mentorship to evaluate the way out of the college. It not only helps with knowing the institution but also helps with building a healthy connection with people in the industry.
- Campus Placements: The placement cell of any campus or premises is the best way to judge the college. Understanding the efforts put in by college to become the bridge between students and employers makes one learn about career prospects. It not only justifies the commitment of the University but also shows the role of them to enhance the academic life of a student.
Is the list still too long?
Well, even after following the factors tip by tip, is your list exceedingly long? Don’t worry. Just follow to answer simple questions that can help to narrower the list by filtering out the best for you:
- Know the type of institution. Would you like to study at a government university or private provider?
- What kind of learning are you interested in? Regular or distance learning?
- What are you particularly looking for? An institution with accessible public transport or with good distance education?
- Pay a visit to the institution and learn more about it through the staff and people out there.
The above mentioned factors highly influence the choice of a student. That’s why it is very necessary to consider them and treat them with equal importance. If confused, we highly recommend you go with a career counselor who can better guide you with choosing the subject and shortlisting the institution. Seek for recommendations from family and friends who might help you with choosing the field
Connect with people from the same field to know the best universities.